You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Hard running centre Alton Naiyep scored a try for Manly in the loss to the Dragons

A disappointing second half performance saw the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffer a 42-10 loss to St George Dragons today in round two of the SG Ball Cup.

After going down 42-18 to Western Suburbs at home in the opening round last Saturday, the Sea Eagles headed to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium looking to open their season account and only trailed by eight at half-time.

However, it was a different story in the second half with the Dragons running in six of their eight tries down Manly's right side.

St George full-back Tyler Peckham-Harris showed some pace to open the scoring with a try next to the posts for a 6-0 lead after four minutes.

The Dragons went to a 12-0 lead after 14 minutes when second-rower Cyrus Stanley-Traill brushed past two defenders to score next to the posts.

With the Dragons losing centre Campbell Lyons to the sin bin three minutes before half-time, the Sea Eagles captalised on the extra space with some quick hands down the left for centre Alton Naiyep to score behind the posts to leave Manly trailing 12-4 at half-time.

Hard running centre Alton Naiyep scored a try for Manly in the loss to the Dragons
Hard running centre Alton Naiyep scored a try for Manly in the loss to the Dragons ©Matthew Long (Lock and Load Photos)

The Sea Eagles got off to the worst possible start to the second half when the Dragons, still a man short, found quick hands for winger Zachariah Nachar to score untouched in the corner for a 16-4 lead a minute after the break.

Two minutes later, the Dragons found more open space on Manly's right side for winger Jesse Williams to stroll over for a 22-4 lead.

The Dragons again capitalised on some poor Manly defence down the right for Peckham-Harris to cross for his second try for a 26-4 lead.

It was a case of more of the same when Williams scored his second try for a 30-4 lead with 17 minutes remaining.

The Dragons went to a 36-4 lead when Nachar sliced through the middle to beat the full-back to score next to the posts.

Manly full-back Riley Burke then scored off his own chip kick with seven minutes remaining for a 36-10 scoreline.

St George five-eighth Shadi Hammoud caught the Sea Eagles napping on his left to step his way over for his own converted try for a 42-10 scoreline with three minutes remaining.


Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners