You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Sea Eagles let  big lead slip to fall to Raiders

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles have let slip a 20 point lead in the first half to go down 26-24 to a fast finishing Canberra Raiders at 4 Pines Park tonight in round nine of the Telstra Premiership.

On a wet evening in front of a crowd of 10, 215, the Sea Eagles led 20-0 after 28 minutes and 20-6 at half-time before the Raiders dug deep in the second half to set up a nervous final 10 minutes.

The loss keeps Manly in fourth spot, just one point behind the top three teams subject to weekend results. 

A superb well-timed short ball from five-eighth Luke Brooks saw full-back Tom Trbojevic stroll over for a 6-0 lead after 11 minutes after the Sea Eagles missed an opportunity earlier through Reuben Garrick.

Nice one mate....Tom Trbojevic celebrates his try with Luke Brooks
Nice one mate....Tom Trbojevic celebrates his try with Luke Brooks ©NRL Photos

A loose pass from the Raiders saw Manly jump to a 10-0 lead through an easy 60 metre try to winger Tommy Talau after 16 minutes before Cherry-Evans swooped on his own grubber kick to score for a 14-0 lead.

Manly swooped to a 20-0 lead after 28 minutes through a converted Garrick try after Canberra full-back Albert Hopoate was sin-binned for a professional foul four minutes earlier.

Another former Manly player in Kaeo Weekes then converted his own try after scoring off an Elliot Whitehead flick pass from an intercept for a 20-6 scoreline at half-time.

Some slick passing along the backline saw Garrick slice through a gap to make it 24-6 after 49 minutes before Whitehead charged over out wide for a 24-12 scoreline in the next set after prop Matthew Lodge dropped the ball from the re-start.

Whitehead grabbed his second converted try in five minutes to leave the Raiders trailing 24-18 after 60 minutes.

The Raiders were in again 10 minutes later through a freakish try to winger Nick Cotric after he tippy toed down the sideline off a kick to cross for a 24-22 scoreline.

The Sea Eagles then had a try denied to winger Jason Saab for a knock-on off a kick with eight minutes remaining.

Canberra then hit the lead when five-eighth Ethan Strange put a grubber through for second-rower Hudson Young to score for a 26-24 lead with four minutes remaining.

Cherry-Evans attempted a 40 metre two point field goal in the dying seconds to level but missed.






Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners