You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Sea Eagles crush Knights in superb home win

A superb second half performance has seen the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles record a 42-12 win over the Newcastle Knights at 4 Pines Park tonight.

In front of a great crowd of 15,896, the Sea Eagles ran in seven tries to two to move back into eighth place on the NRL ladder with seven rounds remaining before the finals.

Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans turned in another brilliant performance just three days after leading Queensland to a State of Origin series victory.

After soaking up some early defensive pressure, the Sea Eagles opened the scoring through a try to exciting young centre Tolu Koula. Half-back and captain Daly Cherry-Evans converted for a 6-0 lead.

Prepare for landing....Tolu Koula goes over against the Knights
Prepare for landing....Tolu Koula goes over against the Knights ©NRL Photos

The Knights hit back in the 17th minute after half-back Adam Clune managed to get his hands down on the ball from a kick to score just before the dead ball line. He converted his own try for a 6-all scoreline.

The next 15 minutes remained a tight contest until a break down the left edge by second-rower Andrew Davey saw him offload to winger Jason Saab to race away to score. Cherry-Evans converted for a 12-6 lead after 35 minutes.

Cherry-Evans extended the lead to 14-6 at half-time after kicking a penalty goal following the sin-binning of Anthony Milford for a professional foul in the 39th minute.

The Knights responded quickly after half-time when full-back Kalyn Ponga finished off a 60 metre try to score near the posts. He converted his own try for a 14-12 scoreline after 46 minutes.

The Sea Eagles stretched their lead to eight points when Saab backed up a nice play to score his second try. Cherry-Evans converted for a 20-12 lead after 50 minutes.

Jason Saab scored two tries in the win tonight
Jason Saab scored two tries in the win tonight ©NRL Photos

Manly made it 24-12 after 60 minutes when second-rower Haumole Olakau'atu strolled down the blind side to score out wide. Cherry-Evans' conversion hit the upright from out wide.

Hard working second-rower Andrew Davey grabbed his second try of the season when he dived over under the posts. Cherry-Evans converted for a 30-12 lead.

Christian Tuipulotu then got in on the tryscoring feast when he called for a short grubber kick from Cherry-Evans to score in the corner. Cherry-Evans converted for a 36-12 lead after 71 minutes.

Koula was then held up over the line to deny him his second try three minutes from full-time.

Hooker Lachlan Croker then capped it off with a try behind the posts in the 79th minute. Reuben Garrick converted for a 42-12 lead.


Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners