Reuben Garrick’s phenomenal season has tonight been rewarded with the presentation of the NRL’s Top Point Scorer Award.
Garrick has taken all before him in his third season at Manly with the Sea Eagles winger a clear runaway winner of the award.
Heading into this Friday night’s Preliminary Final against South Sydney, Garrick sits on 322 points through 21 tries and 119 goals in 26 games.
His nearest rival is Souths half-back Adam Reynolds on 256 points in 23 games. Garrick is also three ahead of Reynolds on the NRL leading goal scorer list.
Some of Garrick’s incredible feats already in 2021 include:
- the first player in rugby league to score 20 tries and 100 goals in a premiership season.
- broke the all-time record for most points by a player in the an NRL regular season, beating Hazem El Masri’s record of 288 points set in 2004.
- first player to score more than 300 points in a regular season
- sits second on the '300 Points in a Season' list behind El Masri (342 points in 28 games) and ahead of Brett Hodgson (308 in 28 games).
- Holds the Club record for 'Most Points in a Season'
- equalled the Club record of 30 points in a match shared by Ron Rowles (1954) and Matthew Ridge (1996) by scoring two tries and kicking 11 goals against Canterbury at Bankwest Stadium in July.
- sits equal third with Mike Eden (1982) and Matthew Ridge (1994,1996) for most goals in a match with 11.
2021 Top Pointscorer: Reuben Garrick
- sits in eighth place on the Club record list of players to have scored more than 500 points
- joined a long list of players to have scored four tries in a match for Manly with four against the Gold Coast Titans in June.
- played a starring role in arguably the try of the season in the final round win of the season against the Cowboys.
Footnote: Rugby league tries went from being worth three points a game to four points in 1983.