You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Blacktown Workers record 28-all draw with Magpies

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles recorded a 28-all draw with the Western Suburbs Magpies at Leichhardt Oval today in a NSW Cup trial.

The Sea Eagles scored some fine tries in the opening 40 minutes for a 22 point lead at half-time before the Magpies rallied in the second half to claim the draw.

The Magpies attacked the Sea Eagles quarter in the opening minute but a last tackle grubber kick went dead in the second minute.

Two minutes later, the Sea Eagles opened the scoring when winger Kane Allan swooped on a short grubber kick from five-eighth Brad Keighran to score near the posts. Keighran converted for a 6-0 lead after five minutes.

The Sea Eagles were almost in again after a long break down the left side by centre Tim Simona before a kick inside was regathered by Keighran, Two plays later, a cut out pass to Allan saw him unmarked but a Magpies player forced the ball over the sideline.

Allan was not to be denied two minutes later when he took an intercept pass from Magpies five-eighth Joe Taipiri to race 30 metres untouched. Keighran converted for a 12-0 lead after 11 minutes.

Kane Allan sets his sights on the tryline.
Kane Allan sets his sights on the tryline. ©NRL Photos

The Magpies got on the board in the 19th minute when prop Ky Rodwell crashed over under the posts after being held up three tackles earlier. Half-back Tyler Field converted the try for a 12-6 lead.

Blacktown Workers quickly extended their lead with a try to full-back John Fonua scored near the posts. Keighran converted for a 16-6 lead after 24 minutes.

Two minutes later, the Sea Eagles were in again when hooker Denzal Tonise crashed over out wide. Keighran failed to convert the try for a 22-6 lead.

Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles lock Reed Izzard swooped on the ball from a short grubber kick that bounced off the posts to score. Keighran converted for a 28-6 lead with four minutes to half-time.

The Sea Eagles conceded a soft try four minutes after half-time when Magpies second-rower Tom Freebairn stepped past the defence to score next to the posts. Field converted for a 28-12 scoreline.

The Magpies then shifted the ball left through several sets of hands for winger Ali Allouche to score in the left corner in the 55th minute for a 28-16 scoreline. The try was not converted.

The Sea Eagles were then forced to soak up some pressure on their line and did well defensively to hold up a Magpies player out wide with 18 minutes remaining.

Three minutes later, the Magpies bombed a tryscoring chance when a bad support pass when to ground 20 metres out from the line. 

The Magpies were then denied a try in the right corner on a forward pass call.

Western Suburbs full-back Tyronne Roberts-Davis scored near the posts with three minutes remaining. The try was converted for the 28-22 scoreline.

The Magpies snatched a draw from a kick and regather to score under the posts in the final seconds for the 28-all draw.