You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Sea Eagles suffer heavy loss to Dragons at Kogarah

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a 34-4 loss to St George-Illawarra Dragons at Jubilee Oval, Kogarah, tonight in round nine of the Telstra Premiership.

The Sea Eagles went into the match missing plenty of strike power through injurty and suspension as they looked to end a two game losing streak.

The loss was Manly's third in a row. Sea Eagles Coach Des Hasler made several changes to his starting line-up with Brendan Elliot coming in at full-back, Reuben Garrick from full-back to wing, Cade Cust from bench to five-eighth, and Morgan Boyle starting at prop.

Round 9: Post Match Press Conference

Sign up for a free NRL Account to access this video and other exclusive content.

Sign Up

Already have an NRL Account?

Log In

Not sure?   Learn more about an NRL Account .

The Sea Eagles opened the scoring when second-rower Joel Thompson crashed over off a short pass from captain Daly Cherry-Evans in the eighth minute. Garrick failed to convert the try for a 4-0 lead.

The Dragons hit back when forward Josh Kerr charged over next to the posts from a short pass by hooker Ben Hunt. Zac Lomax converted for a 6-4 lead after 29 minutes.

Two minutes later, the Dragons scored a 70 metre try when Matthew Dufty raced away after Lomax gave him the ball after taking an intercept pass from Cherry-Evans who found open space and was looking for support inside. Lomax failed to convert the try for a 10-4 lead which they took into half-time.

The Sea Eagles were forced to soak up some early pressure on their tryline in the opening three minutes of the second half with the Dragons held up over the line in one set.

Dragons winger Jordan Pereira was then placed on report for a late tackle on Garrick. 

Some great defence by Lachlan Croker and Elliot saw them combine in the 61st minute to hold up Tyson Frizell over the line.

Three minutes later, Manly lost winger Jorge Taufua to the sin-bin for a professional foul on Dufty in trying to stop a try. Lomax converted a penalty goal from next to the posts for a 12-4 lead after 55 minutes.

The Dragons went to a 16-4 lead in the 61st minute when Lomax produced a flick pass to send winger Mikaele Ravalawa over in the right corner. Lomax converted from the sideline for an 18-4 lead.

The Dragons went to a 22-4 lead when Lomax juggled the ball from a Cust pass before racing away to dive over in the right corner with seven minutes remaining. Lomax failed to convert his own try.

Corey Norman then made it 26-4 when he swooped on a kick by Adam Clune to score under the posts. Lomax converted for a 28-4 scoreline.

The Dragons finished the match with a try to Euan Aitken in the final minute. Lomax converted for the 34-4 scoreline.

The loss was Manly's third in a row and sees the side sit in 10th position ahead of next Saturday night's clash against competition leaders Parramatta Eels at Lottoland.


Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners