You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
NRL Report | Sea Eagles 10 - 44 Eels

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a disappointing 44-10 loss to Parramatta Eels at ANZ Stadium today in round seven of the Telstra Premiership.

It was the second week in a row that Manly had been held scoreless in the first half after leaving the field down 26-0 at half-time against the Wests Tigers the week before.

The loss made it three straight defeats for Manly while it was the Eels' first win of the season after six straight losses. Manly have now won two of their seven matches.

The Sea Eagles were put under pressure on their line in the opening minutes through several sets and a penalty for offside, which saw Parramatta miss a penalty goal attempt through half-back Mitchell
Moses in the sixth minute.

Two minutes later, full-back Tom Trbojevic produced some strong defence to take the Eels over the sideline short of Manly's line.

The Eels got on the board in the 11th minute when Moses converted a penalty goal from 10 metres out.

Manly had a try disallowed to centre Brian Kelly on the 25 minute when the NRL bunker ruled an obstruction against Joel Thompson on defender Tony Williams. It came off the back of a 40/20 kick by half-back and captain Daly Cherry-Evans.

The Eels scored three minutes later when the ball was spread to the left for Manu Ma'u to score. Moses converted for an 8-0 lead.

Manly forward Shaun then lost control of the ball in reaching out for the tryline with one hand in the 30th minute.

Parramatta went to a 12-0 lead when winger George Jennings dived over after a long floating pass from Moses in the 36th minute. Moses converted the try from the sideline for a 14-0 lead.

The Eels took a 20-0 lead into half-time when Parramatta hooker Kaysa Pritchard darted from dummy half to catch lock Jake Trbojevic offside to find a clear passage to the line. Moses converted the try in the 39th minute.

Parramatta completed 17 of 19 sets in the first half compared to Manly's seven from 12 sets. The Eels enjoyed 67 per cent possession to Manly's 33 per cent.

The Eels went to a 24-0 lead in the 47th minute when five-eighth Corey Norman pushed off second-rower Jack Gosiewski to score near the posts. Moses converted for a 26-0 lead.

A chip over the defensive line by Moses saw centre Michael Jennings plant the ball down before the dead ball line to score. Moses failed to convert the try with 24 minutes remaining.

Manly got on the board when the ball was spread to the right for winger Brad Parker to finish off the play to score in the 59th minute. Captain and half-back Daly Cherry-Evans converted the try from out wide for a 30-6 scoreline.

The Eels went to a 34-6 lead when Kenny Edwards hit a hole to score near the posts in the 61st minute. Moses converted for a 36-6 lead.

The Sea Eagles crossed for their second try in the 64th minute when the ball was shifted left for Brian Kelly to send winger Akuila Uate over. Cherry-Evans failed to convert the try for a 36-10 scoreline.

Manly then lost winger Brad Parker with an ankle injury in the 65th minute.

Parramatta went to a 40-10 lead when full-back Clinton Gutherson dived under the posts after a break by Moses. The half-back converted for a 42-10 lead with 11 minutes remaining.

Moses then converted a penalty goal two minutes later for a 44-10 scoreline.

Kelly was denied a try with three minutes remaining after it was ruled Uate had knock the ball on.

The Sea Eagles play Newcastle Knights at Lottoland next Friday night at 6pm.

Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners