You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Happy times...the Sea Eagles celebrate a try against the Storm today

A resilient Manly Warringah Sea Eagles claimed a 20-16 victory over the Melbourne Storm in round 18 of the Jersey Flegg Cup at 4 Pines Park today. 

Three tries in the first 16 minutes were enough for the Sea Eagles to hold onto the lead in what was a tale of two halves in a scrappy match.  

Melbourne scored three tries in the second half to set up a grandstand finish but were unable to capitalise on their chances, falling short as the home side held on for the two points. 

The victory moves Manly to 24 points and into third position subject to weekend results.

The Sea Eagles got off to a flying start with a try in the opening minute through centre Alton Naiyep. Lock Nicholaz Lenaz broke through the defence with a barnstorming run and put Naiyep under the posts for an early 6-0 lead. 

Melbourne were quick to hit back and found the line six minutes later through winger Maanaima Amosa for a 6-4 scoreline. 

After forcing an error from the kick-off, Manly reasserted their dominance with a try in the 10th minute through Kallum Weatherall-Stacey. After a quick shift from the scrum, the full-back squeezed through two defenders to score in the corner and extend his side's lead to 12-4. 

The Sea Eagles continued their form to score again seven minutes later through second-rower Max Hayley. A grubber kick on the last tackle from five-eighth Dylan Christensen deflected off two Melbourne players and sat perfectly under the posts for Hayley to dive on to take the lead to 18-4. 

Coming through...Kallum Weatherall-Stacey takes on the Storm defence today
Coming through...Kallum Weatherall-Stacey takes on the Storm defence today ©Jason Dan (Manly Media)

Melbourne centre Siulagi Pio broke through a tackle and dragged two defenders  to score in the corner in the 21st minute for an 18-8 scoreline. 

Similar to Manly in the first half, the visitors came out of the gates flying and scored with their first set through centre Matthew Hill to cut the deficit to 18-12. 

The Sea Eagles had several chances to extend their lead but failed to capitalise with errors and fatigue getting the better of them as the clock continued to wind down. 

Melbourne continued to pressure Manly’s line and looked to add to their tally with seven minutes to play. Thankfully for the home side, Storm lock Angus Hinchey was unable to hold onto a simple pass and turned over possession 15 metres out from the tryline. 

After being awarded a penalty metres out from the line for an illegal strip, the Sea Eagles went with the safe option. Weatherall-Stacey converted the penalty goal from 15 metres out to take the score to 20-12 with two minutes remaining. 

Melbourne scored a consolation try with 20 seconds remaining for a final scoreline of 20-16. 

The Sea Eagles take on the Newcastle Knights in round 19 of the Jersey Flegg Cup on Sunday July 14, at 12pm.

Sea Eagles 20 (Naiyep, Weatherall-Stacey, Hayley tries; Weatherall-Stacey 4/4 goals) d Storm 16 (Amosa, Pio, Hill tries; Avery 0/4 goals) 

Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners