You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Daly Cherry-Evans leads Sea Eagles to tough victory

Inspirational Manly Warringah Sea Eagles captain Daly Cherry-Evans led his side to a tough 18-8 win over the Melbourne Storm at 4 Pines Park in round seven of the Telstra Premiership.

Cherry-Evans received some heavy hits from the Storm but continued to put his body on the line in a superb captain's knock. He also kicked five goals for a personal haul of 10 points.

In a fiery match that had plenty of feeling between the fierce arch-rivals, a late try to Manly hooker Lachlan Croker secured the Sea Eagles their third win of the season.

It was also a fitting way for new Manly prop Aaron Woods to celebrate his club debut considering the former NSW and Australian forward grew up following the Sea Eagles.

The Sea Eagles opened proceedings through fullback Tom Trbojevic after he pounced on a perfect kick from Cherry-Evans to score for a 6-0 lead after 13 minutes.

A goal line drop out that failed to travel 10 metres saw Cherry-Evans extend the lead to 8-0 after 17 minutes.

Melbourne hit back in the 21st minute through a sweeping left edge back line for winger Will Warbrick to score in the corner for an 8-4 scoreline.

Four minutes later, both sides were dealt a big blow with two powerhouses in Kelma Tuilagi and Tui Kamikamica taken off the field for a head injury assesment. Tuilagi later failed the assessment forcing his night to be over.

A penalty for Melbourne's marker not being square led to Cherry-Evans taking his side out to a 10-4 lead in the 33rd minute.

In the dying stages of the first half, Sea Eagles winger Raymond Tuiamaolo Vaega was sin binned for a late shot on Melbourne full-back Cameron Munster. Jonah Pezet converted a penalty goal from the sideline for a 10-6 half-time score.

The Sea Eagles had a try disallowed four minutes after the break to forward Ethan Bullemor after he showed some silky soccer skills to get the ball to the in-goal. 

Minutes later, Woods seemed to have scored a try himself off a nifty grubber from Croker only for the bunker to disallow it.

Close but not this time...Aaron Woods celebrates his try but it was denied by the bunker.
Close but not this time...Aaron Woods celebrates his try but it was denied by the bunker. ©NRL Photos

Kamikamica was then sin binned for a nasty late shot on Cherry-Evans in the 46th minute before some more ill discipline from Trent Loireo saw the Melbourne forward placed on report for a hip drop tackle. Cherry-Evans converted for a 12-6 lead.

Manly forward Jake Trobjevic was put on report after putting Cameron Muster in a dangerous position.Pezet converted a penalty goal for a 12-8 scoreline after 53 minutes.

Tempers continued to flare with players spilling over the sideline, after the Storm players were not happy with winger Vaega pushing his opposite number after a strong defensive effort.

Melbourne centre Justin Olam was then sin binned for another late shot on Cherry-Evans in the 58th minute.

With seven minutes remaining, Manly prop Taniela Paseka dragged in multiple defenders before showcasing his skills by offloading to a free Croker moments before hitting the ground for the hooker to crash over untouched. Cherry-Evans added the extras to give the home side a 10 point lead.

Manly head to Campbelltown Sports Stadium in round eight to take on the Wests Tigers on Sunday, April 23, at 4.05pm.







Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners