You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Sea Eagles lose 28-8 to Storm in Indigenous Round

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a 28-8 loss to the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park tonight in the NRL Indigenous Round.

The match marked the 250th NRL game for Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran, who started his career with the Sea Eagles in 2009. Popular clubman in winger Jorge Taufua also returned to the side for his first game in the NRL since Round 17, 2020.

Melbourne were denied a try in the third minute after a bunker review which ruled second-rower Felise Kaufusi’s foot hit the sideline before he grounded the ball.

The Storm bounced back three minutes later through five-eighth Cameron Munster after he got the ball from the break of a scrum from 10 metres out. Fullback Nick Meaney converted for a 6-0 scoreline.

Meaney made a line break in the 17th minute down the left wing and was in open space, only to be stopped by his opposing fullback, Reuben Garrick. Manly faced pressure off the back of several set restarts but managed to hold the home side out.

The Storm scored their second in the 31st minute after an outside-inside ball to forward Chris Lewis from halfback Jahrome Hughes. Meaney converted to extend the lead to 12-0.

Match Highlights: Storm v Sea Eagles

With three minutes to play in the half, Taufua dived over in the left corner for the Sea Eagles after a good shift in play, taking the score to 12-4. The score remained the same as the sides went into the sheds for halftime a few minutes later. 

He's back....the Sea Eagles celebrate Jorge Taufua's try.
He's back....the Sea Eagles celebrate Jorge Taufua's try. ©NRL Photos

Melbourne only took two minutes to score in the second half after winger Xavier Coates won a contest in the right corner off a kick from five-eighth Cameron Munster. Meaney converted to take the score to 18-4.

Manly had ample chances deep inside the Storm’s territory in the 50th minute after a handful of penalties but were unable to finish their attack as they forced an error in front of the tryline.

Munster scored for the Storm six minutes later after a one-on-one strip and Meaney converted to extend the lead to 24-4.

Manly prop Tofofoa Sipley fought hard for his side and forced a one-on-one strip 20 metres out from his own line. The efforts were unfortunately overshadowed as Melbourne were awarded a penalty in the 61st minute and moments later forced a drop-out.

Round 12: Post Match Press Conference

A penalty against the Sea Eagles from the line drop-out brought the Storm’s fifth try through forward Kenneath Bromwich in the 65th minute for a 28-4 scoreline.

Manly scored their second try two minutes later after a stunning diving effort in the corner from winger Christian Tuipulotu. Milestone-man Kieran Foran did well to set up the play by holding the ball up well before a quick cut-out pass at the line to beat the defence, helping take the score to 28-8.

Fans were teased with a break in-play as Manly second-rower Haumole Olakau’atu found space, with young gun centre Tolutau Koula close by with pace to burn, only for the ball to get knocked down by the Storm, bringing an end to the play.

The Sea Eagles threw the ball around on the last play after the siren but were unable to crack the defence as Andrew Davey took the tackle to bring an end to the match, with the Melbourne Storm claiming a 28-8 victory.

The Sea Eagles play the Warriors in Round 13 of the NRL Telstra Premiership on Saturday June 4, 7.55pm, at 4 Pines Park.

Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners