You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles suffered a 38-18 loss to South Sydney Rabbitohs at Lottoland today in round two of the Telstra Premiership.

The match marked the club debut for Manly for Cameron Cullen and Jarrad Kennedy with local junior Billy Bainbridge playing his first NRL game at Lottoland after making his first grade debut in round 26 last year.

The Sea Eagles opened the scoring in the fifth minute when quick hands to the right by Curtis Sironen and Dylan Walker put winger Akuila Uate over for his first try for Manly for a 4-0 lead. Walker failed to convert the try.

Three minutes later, the Sea Eagles went to an 8-0 lead when a short pass from half-back Daly Cerry-Evans saw centre Brian Kelly go over in the left corner. Walker failed to convert try.

Uate then swooped up a grubber kick on his line to break the defence on a 20 metre run before sending full-back Tom Trbojevic racing away on an 80 metre run to score for a 12-0 lead after 11 minutes. Walker again failed to convert the try.

South Sydney hit back quickly through tries to Robert Jennings and Cody Walker.  Half-back Adam Reynolds converted both to lock it up at 12-all after 28 minutes.

The Sea Eagles were left a man short when five-eighth Blake Green was sent to the sin-bin for deliberately holding a Souths player back from scoring.

Three minutes later, the Rabbitohs took the lead when second-rower John Sutton scored under the posts. Reynolds converted for an 18-12 scoreline. It remained that way to half-time.

Second Half

A good pass in traffic by lock Jake Trbojevic found his brother Tom, who skipped crossfield to find some open space before sending half-back and captain Daly Cherry-Evans over. Walker converted for an 18-all scoreline after 50 minutes.

Souths regained the lead when Reynolds converted a penalty goal from close range after Uate picked the ball up from an offside position after winger Jorge Taufua dropped the ball from a bomb.

A weight of possession from penalties saw South Sydney eventually cross again through full-back Alex Johnston. Reynolds converted for a 26-18 lead after 68 minutes.

A minute later, new Souths hooker Robbie Farah finished off an 80 metre try to score under the posts. Reynolds converted for a 32-18 lead after 71 minutes.

Johnston grabbed his second try four minutes later. Reynolds converted for a 38-18 lead after 76 minutes.

The winless Sea Eagles play North Qld Cowboys in Townsville next Saturday night.

Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners