You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Competition - NRL
Round - 17
Teams – Sea Eagles V Dragons
Date –  4th of July 2016
Venue – Brookvale Oval
Photographer – Cox
Description –

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles recorded a thumping 36-6 victory over St George-Illawarra Dragons at Brookvale Oval tonight in round 17 of the Telstra Premiership.

The win ended a seven game losing streak with Manly recording its first victory since beating Newcastle on Anzac Day in front of a crowd of 9048. The win moves the Sea Eagles to 12 points heading into the bye next weekend. It was Manly’s fifth win of the season.

Full-back Brett Stewart was ruled out with a knee injury with Tom Trbojevic moving from the centres to replace him. Winger Brayden Wiliame moved to the centres for Trbojevic with Matthew Wright coming into the team to cover Wiliame.

Prop Siosia Vave missed the match with a hamstring strain and was replaced on the interchange bench by Luke Burgess.

Prior to kick-off, a moment’s silence was held in memory of former Manly prop Fred Brown, who passed away on Sunday, aged 90. Brown played 106 First Grade games for Manly from 1948-53. The Sea Eagles wore black armbands as a mark of respect.

The Sea Eagles opened the scoring in the eighth minute through a penalty goal to captain and five-eighth Jamie Lyon.

Manly then went close to scoring twice with five minutes through lock Jake Trbojevic and winger Jorge Taufua.

The home side was finally rewarded in the 23rd minute when second-rower Nathan Green dived on a grubber kick by hooker Apisai Koroisau on the last tackle to score against his former club. Lyon converted for an 8-0 lead.

It became 12-0 after 29 minutes when Manly centre Dylan Walker showed his pace to dive over in the right corner before a great catch and pass by Tom Trbojevic saw Taufua score out wide for a 16-0 lead after 35 minutes.

Walker then grabbed his second try when he raced 90 metres to score after taking an intercept pass from Benji Marshall to race away. Lyon converted to give Manly a 22-0 lead at half-time.

Second Half

Taufua grabbed his second try early in the second half when a crossfield kick by Jamie Buhrer was allowed to bounce with Nathan Green knocking the ball back for Taufua to score foe a 26-0 lead.

Buhrer then brought the crowd to its feet when he broke the defence to race 80 metres to score next to the posts. Lyon converted for a 32-0 lead after 69 minutes.

Burgess then left the field with concussion after being hit in a tackle by Joel Thompson. 

The Dragons opened their account with a converted try to full-back Josh Duggan for a 32-6 scoreline before a floating pass by Daly Cherry-Evans saw Wiliame score in the corner for a 36-6 lead. Walker failed to convert the try.

The Sea Eagles play the NZ Warriors in a home game at Nib Stadium, Perth, on Saturday, July 16.