You have skipped the navigation, tab for page content
Blake Leary : Digital Image by Robb Cox © : : NRL Rugby League - Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles V Penrith Panthgers at Brookvale Oval, Monday May 18th 2015.

Two tries from record breaking full-back Brett Stewart was not enough to lift Manly Warringah Sea Eagles to victory at Brookvale Oval tonight in round 10 of the Telstra Premiership.

In front of a crowd of 8025, Penrith came from behind late in the second half to snatch an 11-10 victory.

Stewart set a new record for most first grade tries for Manly Warringah Sea Eagles when he crossed twice in the first half to beat the previous record held by Steve Menzies (151 tries).

The magical number one now has 153 tries to his name and received a standing ovation from Manly Warringah Members and supporters.

The loss leaves the Sea Eagles on 6 competition points with the bye next weekend.

Manly had a chance to score in the second minute through full-back Brett Stewart but he failed to place a hand on the ball from a grubber kick by half-back Daly Cherry-Evans.

Two minutes later, Stewart was not to be denied when he backed up a break by five-eighth Tom Symonds to cross under the posts to score his 152nd try and set a new club record for most tries for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. Centre and captain Jamie Lyon converted to give the Sea Eagles a 6-0 lead after five minutes.

Penrith crossed for their opening try in the 18th minute through winger David Simmons after some slick passing by half-back Jamie Soward and full-back Matt Moylan. The try came on a repeat set of six to the Panthers from a knock-on by Sea Eagles winger Peta Hiku. Soward failed to convert the try to leave Penrith trailing 6-4 after 20 minutes.

The Sea Eagles came close to scoring when Lyon was held up in the right corner in the 22nd minute. The following tackle, the ball was spread left before Stewart sliced his way through to score try number 153 to give the Sea Eagles a 10-4 lead. Lyon failed to convert the try.

Penrith threw everything at the Sea Eagles to cross the line just before half-time but to no avail due to some great defence. Manly went into half-time leading 10-4.

Symonds left the field with a shoulder injury in the 53rd minute and did not return.

The video ref was called on in the 55th minute to determine whether centre Dallin Watene-Zelezniak had grounded the ball with one hand in the right corner. The try was awarded. Moylan failed to convert from the sideline to leave the Sea Eagles with a 10-8 lead after 57 minutes.

Penrith had a chance to take the lead a minute later when Moylan found open space and with only Stewart to beat, centre Waqa Blake dropped the ball with the try line in front of him.

The Panthers were left with three men on the interchange bench when winger George Jennings left the field through an ankle injury with 13 minutes remaining.

Moylan converted a penalty goal for a high tackle in the 72nd minute to level the scores at 10-all.

Penrith hit the lead for the first time when Moylan landed a 39-metre field goal in the 74th minute for a 11-10 lead to the visitors.

Manly had a chance to regain the lead in the 77th minute but second-rower Justin Horo got tackled with winger Jorge Taufua unmarked on his outside. The Sea Eagles then had a field goal attempt through Feleti Mateo but it was unsuccessful.

The Sea Eagles then had a field goal attempt inside the final minute through Cherry-Evans but it was also unsuccessful.

Acknowledgement of Country

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles respect and honour the Traditional Custodians of the land and pay our respects to their Elders past, present and future. We acknowledge the stories, traditions and living cultures of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples on the lands we meet, gather and play on.

Major Partner

Premier Partners

Senior Partners

View All Partners